Located atop 150 m high hill, the
impressive Mehrangarh Fort Jodhpur overshadows the other
attraction of Jodhpur. The name Mehrangarh itself means 'majestic
fort' and as such tourists visiting this fort are mighty
delighted with its grandeur. The fort was initially built in the
year 1459 by the founder of the city, Rao Jodha after he shifted
his capital here from Mandore. However, much of what stands today
date back to the 17th century, a time when Jaswant Singh held the
reins of Jodhpur.
Umaid Bhawan Palace-Jodhpur
The Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur was built between 1929 to 1942 as
a famine relief project that gave employment to more than 3000
famine struck people. Today, parts of the palace have been
converted into a luxury hotel, and a museum while one extensive
wing is still occupied by the royal family.
The palace was built by Maharaja Umaid Singh and designed by the
president of the British Royal Institute of Architects. Marble
and red sandstone was used to built this opulent structure though
no cement was used in its construction. The museum at the palace
houses an assortment of beautifully crafted weapons, stuffed
leopards, clock collections, and Chinese urns.
km from Jodhpur, Khimsar houses the 16th century fort built by
Rao Karamsiji. He was the 8th son of the Jodhpur founder, Rao
Jodha, who moved to this region and founded the Khimsar dynasty.
The construction of the fort began in 1523 AD. The fort’s
battle-scarred walls and turrets are a tell-tale reminder of
Khimsar’s glorious past. In mid 18th century, the royal
family moved in and a new ‘zenana’ (ladies’
wing) was built with finely carved windows in stone grills to
provide ‘purdah’ or veil for ladies-in-waiting.
Subsequently, Thakur Onkar Singh built for himself a regal wing.
The fort has now been converted into a hotel though a section
still remains residence to the royal family of Khimsar.